POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : round edges : Re: round edges Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:24:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: round edges
From: Chris Huff
Date: 18 May 2001 10:39:13
Message: <3b053411@news.povray.org>
Nekar Xenos <j-p### [at] citywalkcoza> wrote:

> Does anyone have a macro that could take the co-ordinates of all the
> points in an object and replace them with blobs?

I've done something like this before...I just used eval_pattern with
the object pattern to determine if a point was inside the object, and
if so, placed a blob component at that point.

> I've figured that would be quite a good way of making rounded
> edges. CSG's would probably be a problem, unless there was a macro
> that could convert CSG's (or anything else) to polygons.

It worked fairly well for rounded text, but if you want just slight
rounding of edges, you will require a huge number of blob components
to get smooth results, and the rendering will be quite slow. A better
bet would be to use macros to produce various primitive shapes, such
as rounded boxes, cylinders, etc...
CSG is no problem, though.

--
Christopher James Huff - chr### [at] maccom
Home Page: http://homepage.mac.com/chrishuff/